Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Vacation Day 1!

Ryan and I were both up at 4:30 am, unable to go back to sleep, so by 6:30 we were out running on the trail that runs along side all the hotels in Ka' anapali. It was a gorgeous morning. This is what it looked like at the end of our run.


After our run, we went into Lahaina to find some local fruit. And we did, Papaya, Mango, bananas and some dried fruit. Yum! I joked that I would be happy if I just ate fresh tropical fruit all day long.

After our run, then grocery store adventure, it was only 8:30 am. We went to back to hotel to change and get ready for the beach, then headed into Kahalui to hit up Costco and Walmart. Not as "local" but we were able to buy a flat of Hawaiian water and "Ahi Poke," that Lance Smith requested we have for him.

This was also the first time I had the Hand Dipped Ice Cream from Costco. How come I didn't know about this gem until I came to Hawaii? I know they have it at all Costcos' but I never tried it. I'm in trouble now cause I"m going to want to get it every time I go to Costco at home. $1.65 for a big ice cream on a stick. I can easily share this with my girls.

This is the plate from our rental car. The Rainbow State!

Finally making it to the beach. The water was cool at first, but really warm on the skin as we dipped for a few minutes.

Ryan looking for different choral with his own goggles.

Later by the pool, we had a virgin pina colada for Wendy Smith, my sister. She said she really hated me, but to have a pina colada for her by the pool. So we did. Oh, and did I mention that this was only about 1:30 in the afternoon. When you are up @ 4:30 there is so much more time in the day.

Then just before dinner, I went to move the coffee maker out of the way on the counter and somehow turned it on. When I put my hand on it to move it away, my thumb touched the hot plate and totally singed the skin. I was shocked cause I wasn't expecting it to be hot, let alone know that it would burn my thumb and cause an instant blister, even after putting it right to my earlobe (a wives tale I learned a long time ago that ryan doesn't believe in.) Usually it gets rid of a burn from a hot pan or curling iron. But this time the plate where the glass pot sits and warms up, i guess, was so hot, it burned so bad that it took a good hour and four ice cubes to stop the sting. Lesson learned? Coffee Makers and I don't mix!

Once the burning was under control with 3 ibuprofen, we headed out for dinner. As we pulled out of the Hotel lot there was a short rainbow barely making its appearance. Can you see it between the trees?

Look in the very center of this picture. The rainbow is between the clouds and the trees.

Not a great picture, but we had a wait for dinner so we tried to get the golf course in the back ground. I'm still figuring out how to take a good picture of myself while holding the iPhone in one hand...

Then to end the day perfectly, we stopped at Mike's board shop that was open for SHAVE ICE! YES! We love shave ice. And this totally hit the spot for the end of our first day. We shared ice cream on the bottom, pineapple and coconut flavor on the ice, then cream on top. Heaven in one cup!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    I've been looking for blog posts about Maui to feature on our site. If you're interested, you can drop me a line at Kate (at) Dwellable (.com)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete