Friday, May 4, 2012

Maui Day 2

This was our breakfast on Day 2! Mango, papaya and honeydew melon. Mmmmm


I love all the tropical vegetation all over the resort and all those that run along the beach. There are different colored Hibiscus, Plumeria and all sorts of plants and trees with big round bulbs on them, which I have no idea what the bulbs will become. 
But if I love all the colors and flourishment everywhere. 
                                      
 We've not had a set schedule each day. There were a few things we talked about doing before we came to Maui, i.e. hiking, snorkeling, bike riding, and laying on the beach or by the pool. 
So when we woke up early again on our second day here, we decided to check out the catamaran boats that take you out to snorkel, feed you lunch and let you sit on the front to enjoy the ocean breeze and great spance of blue/choral ocean. 
 We decided to take the "Gemini." It was referred to us by a good friend, so we called and made a reservation, and had to be there by 11. Now remember that this was at 7:30 am so we had some time before then. So of course we went for a run again, this time up the path of all the hotels to the black cliffs where there is a lighting ceremony of the torches at night, then the lighter jumps off the cliffs into the ocean. It was cool to run past and through a few resorts to see how they all differ from the Marriott, which is where we are staying. Did I mention that before?
This is a palm tree along the way that must have died on top, so instead of taking it out completely, the trunk was cut like a totem pole. So fascinating. when we walked back after our snorkel tour, there was a man carving more into the back side of this trunk. Seriously, so fascinating to watch how they etch each later.

 
 Nine years ago, for our honeymoon, Ryan and I stayed at the Westin. So before we had to meet the Gemini, we reminisced as we walked through the lobby and pool. I may have a picture of us on our honeymoon in front of this waterfall. I'll have to check on that.


So, it totally rained on us as we headed up the coast toward Honoloa Bay, the snorkel destination. Now, I can stand rain and cold, but the wind gets me. Ryan and I tried our best to weather the rain as we sat on the nets on the front of the Gemini, but I'm pretty sure I exuded the amount of goose bumps my my body could handle, so we went below deck to sit where we could be sheltered. All the other guest had been smart enough to have done this before us.  


Fortunately it stopped raining when we arrived at Honoloa Bay. This is Ryan bravely checking out see life, or underworld as I like to refer to it. 

Now, I put on my mask and snorkel, walked dow the steps and glided into the cool water, with great intentions to enjoy the beauty of the underworld. But as Ryan and I started to swim past the boat toward the reef, I found myself having a hard time breathing. I thought back on the first time I ever snorkeled and was so freaked out by the sound of my own breathing and this whole world that I had no control over. So here I am, trying to take slow breaths as I emerge into this same world, but my lungs are not working properly. I think I might be hyperventilating. Even a crew member watching from the boat joked, "have you put your head in yet?" Seriously.



On the way back to the hotel, we sailed S/W so we laid on top of the main cabin to watch the crew to raise and open the sails. Now that the weather started to cooperate and the sky opened up, the view was amazing as the breeze cooled our skin from the blazing sun. It was paradise.  



Seriously..... We just chilled!









We arrived @ about 3:15, backing up to the sand right in front of the Westin again. If you ever are on Maui and want a great experience out at sea, the Gemini is the way to go.


                                   
A perfect way to end the day, "Roy's." This was our meal. Yum! I had Lemongrass Ono with purple mashed potatoes.
                                                  
                                                     
              Ryan had had Medium Rare- Blackened Ahi Tuna

                                                 
Another great day, we can not complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment