Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mothers Day 2013

A few days before Mothers Day, I found this recipe on Facebook and knew I had to make it. So Saturday evening I had to run to the store to make sure to have the 3, yes only 3, ingredients on hand to make this yummy "Wendy's Frosty" ice cream. I made it in my barrel ice cream maker. It ended up being a little runny due to not having small enough ice cubes and not enough rock salt,  but it was my second attempt at making home made ice cream in a slow churning ice cream maker. Thick or not, it was still yum even if it was more like a milk shake. 

The morning started off with my favorite breakfast in bed: Fruit, preferably tropical, and a bran muffin. All tasted amazing! Well done Ryan for planning ahead.

Then I had to get out of my comfy bed where I was nestled in with my fruit and poop muffin, to get ready for the sabbath! After I showered and laid out my make-up and realized that all my everyday essentials are kept in my one makeup bag. These are all the things i use so as not to look like a tired haggard mom. As i stood there looking at my cosmetics, I was and am grateful for makeup. I don't wear it everyday, and people often wonder or ask me if I'm not feeling well on those days, but I am lucky to have at least a few essentials to help me look and feel alive.

As i tried to think of a fun picture to post of my mom to instagram I realized I didn't have one of her from when she was a young mom like me. So I rummaged through the more recent pictures I've taken and remembered this one of her with all of her children from last years Coopers Run! In this photo we are not all perfectly posed, wearing matching outfits, or in our prime of years, yet I am so happy that we all gathered to show that no matter how crazy our lives get, no matter how much drama we have with each other, not matter the trials we've faced in life, we all came from or were raised and loved by one Mother! Thank you mom!


Then I couldn't not acknowledge the other Mother in my life: Barbara Rossiter. When my own mother hasn't been close, Barbara has stepped in many times to take care of me. Just me! Not just my family, but ME the few times when I couldn't take care of myself. She is patient, kind, and trust worthy. She is the type of woman you hope to become. And I know she learned this from her own wonderful mother. So I hope I can be as attentive as her to my own children and grandchildren.


Caroline and I decided to have Mothers Day Dinner at my home on Sunday evening. After church, naps and preparation of food, this was our spread. I wanted all fresh foods so we ended up with 4 salads, cooked asparagus, and pesto tilapia. I wish I had this kind of spread on my island every day. 


Some decor that I set up on Saturday so I wouldn't have to worry about it on a day that I wanted to relax.




The Silly Kids!












No comments:

Post a Comment