Sunday, November 6, 2011

Making Jam!

Ryan keeps asking me if we have enough food storage, and decided to try some canning of our own. We started with jam. He went to Costco and came home with 2 containers of strawberries, 6 of raspberries and 2 of blueberries. So Sunday after church we made a ton of jam. We tried just strawberry, mixed berry, just blueberry (not recommended) and some low sugar, some with out pectin and some with butter to keep the foam off the top. It was fun once we got into it and had a rhythm of how to make each batch. I recommend doing jam, as a couple, to anyone.
I thought a lot about my Aunt Idonna Richins who made jam every year and gave it away for Christmas. I watched her stand at the stove and stir fruit and boil jars and lids for hours. It seemed like so much work, but now I know why she enjoyed it. Try it!!! Just read the directions on the pectin box. Good luck!





It takes a lot of pots,spoons and a blender, but once it's all cleaned up, it's so rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment